Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's nictictating membrane is showing red and swollen in…

Customer Question
Hi there. My cat's...

Hi there. My cat's nictictating membrane is showing red and swollen in his left eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's about one and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bashir?

This same thing happened a month ago, but it went away a few hours after I noticed it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
It's gotten bigger since this morning. I have an appointment at a vet this afternoon at 320, but I want to know if I should take him to an ER, which can see him now.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. This doesn't dictate an ER visit but does require a hands-on exam. It appears to represent protrusion of the gland of the third eyelid (nictitating membrane) which is an unusual finding in cats.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.