Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I take care of my sisters dogs one of which has been

I take care of...

I take care of my sisters dogs one of which has been diagnosed with kennel cough. Can I transfer it to my cats who live at a different location? I'm very concerned I have 6 cats.. Thanks for your help

6/11/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! Please give me a few minutes to type a reply.

Thank you

I understand your concern.

It is really unclear how significant a pathogen Bordatella (kennel cough bacteria) is in cats, and what the level of disease it causes is. Most of the time, it is seen as a concurrent pathogen with other respiratory problems, although it occasionally is cultured as a single agent in a sick cat.

It is the same organism in both dogs and cats, so in theory, they can spread it between them. That being said, it's probably unlikely that cats in another location would contract it. I'd recommend washing hands well, and perhaps changing clothes in the garage before you go in your house to be absolute safest.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Okay thank for the info..

You're welcome! Please let me know if I can help in any other way!