Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was recently diagnosed with stage 3 renal disease.

Customer Question
My cat was recently...

My cat was recently diagnosed with stage 3 renal disease. Never an athelic or adventurous cat ( while a helathy weight, more cuddly than muscular), she seemed to get arthritis in her hips and was unstable walking. Her intake of food has lessened, in the past month I'm getting her to eat what she wants rather than what's best for her- she tolerated a renal diet early on but has since spurned it consistently. She seems to have gone down very drastically over a few days. Her hips seem so weak, that she wobbles when she walks, and after a few steps falls down and stays there. I'm afria with impaired kidney function she is possibly just out of energy, with a lack of iron and hence oxygen to her muscles.. She has lost a lot of weight and is clearly quite dehydrated despite still having lengthy drinks. She seem unmotivated to drink unless i bring the water to her. She can't support herself standing up to urinate, or climb into her litter tray, so she sits down and I dab her dry with paper towel and comb bicarb through her furry legs to clean them a bit. She hasn't been cleaning herself for the past two weeks. The last few days she will have a mouthful of food maybe three times a day. She is hungry, but smells food and it doesn't appeal. Is he in pain or just tired? is she nauseous? Is she going to die in the next few days and or what can I expect the near future to look like?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Two days ago she coughed up what looked like milky blood. I scooped it up and put in a sterile glass container in fridge, but it's been a public holiday here and couldn't get hold of vet.I think it may have been after I gave her some milk, which she drank. She wasa at the vet two weeks ago who took a blood test and from which, without out more specific testing, the vet concluded nothing else obvious was presenting itself.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr.D
Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian

Hello there , sorry to hear that your beloved cat is not feeling well. I am DrD and will try my best to help you both but this seems to be an emergency situation

As you said this could be Arthritis or Degenerative Joint Disease of her hips/knee joints. An x ray and a hand on exam is needed to diagnose this condition. I would be reluctant to use any Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory (NSAID) remedy since she has a stage 3rd Renal disease because those would make the kidney problem worst. Instead there are some other drugs which might help her. On the other hand as you indicated her blood Creatinine and Urea Nitrogen levels could be high and she is having nausea and wobbly walking/ weakness due to high levels of these chemicals in her body. Nausea could be dealt with a drug called Cerenia and/or Famotidine. I would take her in for an exam and discuss all possibilities with your vet . In my opinion this is best action for both of you. She may need intravenous fluids to remove all the toxic materials from her system. I am here to assist you as much as I can. If you need to ask more regarding this case please do not hesitate to come back and post your question. Unfortunately this is all I can help you with . Thank you. Good luck.