Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hes flipping out stretched arms and legs stiff lack of

Customer Question
Hes flipping out stretched...

Hes flipping out stretched arms and legs stiff lack of oxygen i think to brain had stroke or brain tumor possible diagnose from vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?

Hes stifining up no lumps loosing control of bowls and mowing in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Fifteen years old did this once before dehydrated gave him seventy five cc fluids only had 25cc syringes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Greggy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
he was under the weather all week but i thought it was because we bought in a new cat that we had to baby to get well. I thought he was just withdrawing but tonight when i pulled him out from his area he was dehydrated and stiff and kicking his feet up in the air unable to sit up. he has been eating wet food all week. This was a surprise to me to suddenly fall into this condition. Although when he came to us from animal control he went into a similiar fit. I took hilm to the vet she gave him a steroid shot. He seemed to be doing well for a couple weeks now he went back to how he went the first time but worse.
6/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing complex partial seizures which at Greggy's advanced age usually are due to brain tumor (meningioma is most common). A vascular accident (stroke) isn't a likely cause but a unique vascular disorder - feline ischemic encehalopathy - is well described in cats and can cause progressive seizures. Regretfully, we're constrained to seeing if anticonvulsant drugs of are value in these cats - phenobarbital is the usual choice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.