Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old cat. I believe she became severely

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 13 year old cat. I believe she became severely suddenly ill. She currently is tachypneic and isn’t responding to stimuli like she did 3 days ago. Very low energy, however still purring. She is refusing all food, small sips of water. I have all food, water, and liter box close? Anything else I can do for comfort until morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Pookie is her name. I am more concerned with her breathing than activity level. She doesn’t appear to be in any pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pookie?

I don’t think so? She otherwise wS

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

what led up to this?

was she outside, injured, have fever, other?

She primarily is an indoor cat that does escape from time to time. No injury or fever that I am aware of.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

Thank you!

I am sorry Pookie is not feeling well.

She may have a fever, or be hypoglycemic and/or dehydrated.

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish....encourage her to lap it up for hydration and to replace her electrolytes. If she does, offer some tuna.

Go out and get baby food chicken or turkey with no onion powder....warm it to bring out the aroma.YOU CAN also offer canned cat food like fancy feast.

Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri