Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has weakness in rear legs. blood work xray and other…

Customer Question
Cat has weakness in...

Cat has weakness in rear legs. blood work xray and other tests done today. no conclusions. rear legs are warm and pink. Got worse after getting home. Doc did not suspect a clot. No MRi done. really worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

As said above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be in pain. But he is collapsing his rear legs. Left leg came on suddenly today. I saw it in the right leg for a few days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

His blood work was all good. The vet said she did not hear a murmur.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

has he had a recent ear infection?

No

thanks so much for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

text is fine

There are several possibilities for rear leg weakness...some have already been ruled out.

1. saddle thrombus which is a blood clot....ruled out because legs would be cold with blue nail tips

2. diabetic neuropathy.......ruled out by labs

3. hypokalemia, low potassium.....NOT ruled out

4. arthritis.... not ruled out

5. vestibular syndrome caused by an ear infection

6, disc or vertebra issue

If arthritis is suspected I recommend onsior. It is an anti-inflammatory and pain killer. A glucosimine supplement is also indicated.

IF it is vesibular 12.5 mg of dramamine should relieve the symptoms.

IF it is hypokalemia a potassimum supplement will correct the imbalance.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri