Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat started bobbing her head continuously, for many

Customer Question
My cat started bobbing...

My cat started bobbing her head continuously, for many hours, (and possibly most or all of last night)., and she isn't interested in food like she normally is, and is hardly eating. She doesn't seem to be in pain but of course I can't tell.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Mella, 2 years old.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
5/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mella. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can you write out your reply? I just joined this site so don’t know what to expect but at least expect an answer either verbal or in writing , otherwise what is the point?

Yes, I can. Mella's head bobbing indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder) which in cats can have an infectious etiology (e.g., feline infectious peritonitis/FIP), feline leukemia virus/FeLV), feline immunodeficiency virus/FIV); feline ischemic encephalopathy; congenital brain defects; and extracranial etiologies such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys that are intoxicating Mella's brain. Mella's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to identify an extracranial etiology that might be addressed in a conservative manner. Cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI are diagnostics used to identify intracranial etiologies. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The cat got better on her own. Vet said couldn't find anything wrong. Thanks
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

I never argue with success. Perhaps she ingested a prescription drug? Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.