Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Vomiting more frequently during this summer. I noticed that…

Customer Question
Vomiting more frequently during...

Vomiting more frequently during this summer. I noticed that he is cleaning himself a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No. just dry food IAMSO, I did feed him can food friskies, a couple of times a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is probably a little bit over 9 year's old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tux?

He is really a long hair cat. Maybe that is why he has vomited frequently over the past year. But this year a little bit more

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 20 days ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 20 days ago

I understand you have concerns about your pet Tux vomiting a bit more this summer when compared to last summer. However he is a long haired cat so hairballs are way more common. Do you brush him regularly? Twice a week is the minimal recommendation for a long haired cat. Sometimes this is needed daily.

What does the vomit consist of usually?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Food he eats hairball, white foam
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 20 days ago

Hmm. White foam is not typical for a hairball problem. Usually it is going to be food (Digested and sometimes undigested).

Does he seem to be acting more lethargic or less energetic than he normally is?

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 20 days ago

For a vomiting older cat I get suspicous of possible early stage kidney disease. I would recommend haivng him checked by your vet and baseline bloodwork done on him. You may even consider getting an SDMA test (test that can detect kidney disease earlier than regular bloodwork) on him, and a urinalysis to see how well his kidney are concentrating his urine.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet