Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 yr old female cat all of a sudden today is extremely…

Customer Question
My 3 yr old...

My 3 yr old female cat all of a sudden today is extremely lethargic. She normally can't wait to eat and while I got her to eat some it was mainly because I forced her to. She just wants to lay by me and not do anything. I can tell something is off but I'm not sure how concerned I should be. She is normally super playful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She has asthma but has been under control and is not on any medication for it. Her breathing is normal

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 25 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No live call

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your cat is unwell, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question, though I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have your local vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and lost her appetite makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course, other diagnoses are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case, I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep your cat comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her sudden lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott