Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

On Wednesday we took our cat to an emergency clinic because…

Customer Question
On Wednesday we took...

On Wednesday we took our cat to an emergency clinic because she was very lethargic. They gave her fluids and an injection of Naxcel 50mg and Cerenia 10mg. The next day she still wasn't eating or drinking and only urinating but outside the cat box, then that night actually made it in the box. Took her to another vet to follow up, and had blood test ran, she had very high ALT levels over 2000 and low white blood cell count as well as platelets. Since they were closing they said to take her home and force feed her because she needs to eat. It's a matter of life or death so we started feeding her with a dropper seringe a slurry of hi protein special diet. We were told to bring her back for a whole day care, they took and x ray and started her on antibiotics and an iv for fluids and they continued to force feed her. She was keeping it down and getting stronger. The x ray showed a mass in the small intestines and since they were closing suggested we take her for emergency surgery that evening to the Emergency Animal Hospital here. We did that, the vet there said she didn't want to rush the surgery if she didn't need it, so ran some more test and another x ray. In the morning she suggested to go ahead and do the surgery, so we did. She manipulated the mass out, which I was told was just hair and impacted feces. But she said there was a lot of fluid in the abdomen and the liver looked really bad and the urine is dark orange. The ALT however has dropped to 300 something, so the enzymes are going in the right direction. For some reason this hospital doesn't want to force feed her and are suggesting (since they now are closing in the morning because they are only open nights weekends, and holidays) that we take her to a specialist and have a feeding tube inserted. We have already wiped out all our credit and our savings account. She says she needs constant care. I can't get a straight answer about if my cat is going to make it or not and I have no idea how to get more credit of if I can find a place for a lower cost, or that takes payments. My kids don't want to just say good bye since at this point it seems like maybe we could beat this thing but the money is just not there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She's almost 8 years old. They have given her Naxcel which I have been researching and it's supposed to be for cats. They have her on Cerenia and now she's drooling the other Vet put had her on Celazolin? Cefarolin? can't read the writing, but not sure at the moment what the hospital has her on. I know still the cerenia, and some appetite stimulates (which aren't working) and I think some kind of antibiotic. Anyway, I need to pick her up early and I'm at a lose what to do. Not sure if maybe I can try to care for her on my own or what.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 20 days ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian