Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am a parent. I list 2 last night, I now have one that is…

Customer Question
I am a foster...

I am a foster parent. I list 2 last night, I now have one that is lifeless. I have him on a heating pad, giving kero

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Syrup, and gave 10ml of fluids under the skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

It doesnt, just limp and lifeless

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Did the cat have a fall?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

It's Devon and 4 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Devon?

Weighs 12 oz

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/28/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 25 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I need additional information about what is going on. Are you fostering kittens? Are they eating well? Is there a mother involved or are these orphans?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok, he is 4 weeks old. Lifeless but breathing, has had 10ml of saline, keep syrup about 5 times, on heating pad temp is 99.2 weight about 12 oz

Are they eating well? Is there a mother involved or are these orphans?​

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
They have been away from the mother since a week old. I have had them since, there were 9 I have 7 of them.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
All bottle feeders, just started introducing solids.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I've had dozens of bottle feeding fosters without trouble

Have there been any changes in the last 24 hours that might explain why you've had 2 pass and 1 failing? Are you still supplemental feeding while trying to switch them over to solids?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It was eating this morning then threw up some milk and had a little runny stool
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have been offering soft and hard food but still bottle feeding on our regular schedule

Have any of these kittens had diagnostic care thus far such as bloodwork or a fecal sample performed?

Was the queen well-vetted (regularly vaccinated and dewormed) prior to this pregnancy?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No she was feral. They were taken from her due to need of medical care. This kitten has had 2 doses of worm meds. 10 days apart. Still has one dose left. Had it's last dose 3 days ago
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No stool or blood work

Thank you for the clarification. Since 2 kittens have died and you are seeing vomiting/soft stools, I do think it would be wise to have this kitten examined. Alas, he's too young for oral medication and should receive injectable antinausea medication and diagnostics. A stool sample would be wise even though you've been deworming the kittens as there is no one dewormer that rids cats of every intestinal parasite and protozoan they can acquire. If you are not already using a homemade kitten glop recipe for this kitten I would recommend doing so. I no longer recommend using commercial kitten milk replacers as they tend to work well for only a portion of kittens. Those who are frail or prone to illness often don't do well and may pass away. I would recommend, instead, using a glop recipe: http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm that's freshly made. All of my failure-to-thrive kittens have responded better to glop than commercial replacements. You've done the right thing by placing him on a heating pad to help supplement any heat loss.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This reply did not seem to help me. What can I do right now as the vet is closed.

Alas, I'd love to give you a solution but none exist for home care. You don't have many choices since this kitten is too young to receive oral medication. If you wish to try anyhow you can find the dosing information available here for pepcid: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/famotidine-for-pet-stomach-ulcers/1116 I would switch to kitten glop immediately. An ER visit would be wise if your regular vet is not open.

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 24 days ago

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​