Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My Cat has a very red eye. Earlier today it was slightly…

Customer Question
My Cat has a very...
My Cat has a very red eye. Earlier today it was slightly yellow around the outside of the eye where it is usually a light green. We gave him his every other day dosage of 150cc of an IV solution which our veterinarian has prescribed to help him in assisting to flush his body because of a kidney issue. Now his eye is red in that same area all around his left eye. Any ideas?
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/28/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 27 days ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

can you post a pic of Thaddeus eye?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will send a picture if you still need to see it, however much of the redness has gone away. Only a small amount remains on the lower part of the outside part of the eye. There seemed to be a little haziness to the eye as the redness was receding. But that haziness has gone away.

thanks so much for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

I am sorry Thaddeus has had so much trouble.

If his eye gets red, apply a cool, wet orange pekoe teabag. the tanic acid in the tea will sooth and heal.

Go to www.chewy.com and order llysine gel .. give him 250 mg a day to boost his immune system and prevent optic outbreaks. This is NOT harmful to his kidneys,

Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian

Renal patients often become nauseated. IF this happens to Thaddeus you can give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid, famotidine.

Most cats eat best 30 minutes after SUBq

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets berfore Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)2 cups cooked white rice without salt2 large hard-cooked eggs1 tablespoon vegetable oil1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute) Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic. Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weightBody wt Approx Daily Feeding5lb 1/4lb7-8lb 1/3lb10lb 2/5lb I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,Terri
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 25 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thaddeus. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty