Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat came in and he had a lump on the side of his cheek,

Customer Question
My cat came in...

My cat came in and he had a lump on the side of his cheek, above the muzzle and below the eye. It didnt seem to hurt him and I looked at his teeth but they seemed OK

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your cat's name and age?

He is nearly 3 and he is a F7 savannah. he is called onyx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Onyx?

He goes out and goes off quite a bit. at this time of year he hunts alot too so he is often full of rabbit and doesnt eat his dinner. he has gone off again now which is worrying but not unusual im wondering if he has stuck his nose somewhere he shouldnt and got bitten or stung. there did not appear to have any puncture wound and it didnt feel hot or pufft

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/27/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 28 days ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

could he have been stung or bitten?

Check for a stinger, remove with tweezers if there is one.

You can give Onyx half of a 25 mg benedryl if he was stung.

Check inside his mouth for a stuck item, bad tooth or any abnormalities.

Based on the location of the lump Onyx may have a root abscess of a carnasal tooth.

He would need to be seen by a vet if that is the case

Please let me know how he is doing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I suspect he may have been stung. He is quite liable to stick his nose where its not wanted or to chase wasps. He is not the brightest!
WHEN he bowls up again I will take another look. It is very hot here at present so he is probably laid out in the sun somewhere or in a barn. I think he may have come in during the night and eaten, however his brother is greedy so that might have been him having double helpings. It is quite common for him to go off for a few days at the time, especially now there are things that he can catch and eat.

thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Remove the stinger with tweezers.

Give him one half of a 25 mg benedryl tablet every 12 hours to bring down swelling.

If you have the liquid form dosage is 2 mg per lb every 12 hours.

However liquid form may cause drooling so pill is best.

Terri

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
he finally came home. No sign of lump. Ate a bowl of food and fell asleep
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 27 days ago

AWESOME.....it was just a bite and went down by itself....................I am so glad he is fine

Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 25 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty