Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat is 18 years old-male. The house call vet came to see…

Customer Question
Our cat is 18...

Our cat is 18 years old-male. The house call vet came to see him a few weeks ago (he has a hx of pancreatitis and we were instructed to avoid taking him out of the house if at all possible...he had lost a couple of pounds from a year ago...now about 12 lfs. I started him on injectable Adequan about 4 weeks ago, twice weekly and then q week for 4 weeks. I recenty started him on Prednisolone, 2.5mgm bid. I have just read that it is aadvisa le to five Prednisolone every other day to preserve adrenal function. Whaat is the proper protocol for administration of Prednisolone and how quickly may I notice improvement?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Sammy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

When the pancreatitis was discovered by unltrasound at the Univ of Wi Veterinary school. he was being evaluated for suspected intestinal lymphoma-which was ruled out. At that time, my husband and I administered subq fluids for him every day-100 ml. aND WE gave him Mirtazapine.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 23 days ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

was an fPLI test done to diagnose pancreatitis?

what foods are you offering Sammy?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
it was, but that was two years ago. He recovered from his acute pancreatitis and has been quite well in the interim.He developed a bit of a limp this Spring, which was why I scheduled the annual visit from his vet. She was concerned bcuz of his ~2lb weiht loss, and a bit of slacking off of his appetite. As I mentioned, all of his lab values were completely normal, including
blood sugar, tsh, and the serum test for heart failure.
My question now is concerning the protocol for administration of Prednisolone....

thanks so much for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sammy has been a 'canned food only' cat for many years now, eating dry kibble just as a snack
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
His renal function is entirely normal as was his urine anaysis

I am glad to hear Sammy's renal function is normal because repeated steroid use can adversely affect the kidneys.

Pred usually results in increased appetite so weight loss is unusual.

If his bloodwork was unremarkable, he may benefit from a pancreatic enzyme supplement

Pred can cause excessive thirst. you may wish to continue subq to increase his appetite.

Fees small, frequent meals to encourage weight gain.

Conditions for which Prednisone Is UsedPrednisone is a corticosteroid and, as such, is often given to cats as an anti-inflammatory. Cats with inflammatory conditions such as irritable bowel disorder, allergies or asthma may be given prednisone until the inflammation recedes or the condition is cured. Vets typically administer one milligram of prednisone per pound of body weight twice a day until the inflammation recedes or the condition is resolved. As the cat's condition improves, the dosage will be progressively reduced.Prednisone is also useful in the treatment of autoimmune conditions because it is an immunosuppressant. Vets will prescribe a somewhat higher dose of prednisone for cats suffering from autoimmune disorders, including cancer. Cats being treated for autoimmune disease may need to receive up to three milligrams of prednisone per pound of body weight each day. Your vet will reduce the dosage as the cat's condition improves, but he will probably need to keep receiving prednisone daily until the condition is successfully treatment..Although a cat may receive a low dose for life, it is usually not advisable to keep a patient on this medication permanently However, due to Sammy's age his DVM may feel this is the proper protocol in his case. I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,Terri .
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
You did NOT really address my question about administering Prednisolone every other day (as opposed to qd) in order to preserve adrenal function

You can administer pred every other day, however, a cat Sammy's age benefits more from a daily dose taking his weigh loss into consideration

I can opt out if you wish and see if a colleague has another opinion

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
what about the effect on the adrenals?

The affects of adrenals will be inconsequential compared to the benefits of daily administration

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I understand. Thank you.

you are more than welcome. it is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person and dear *****my.

I expect great benefits to his treatment.

Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 21 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert