Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My one year old indoor kitty has been lethargic the last 2…

Customer Question
Hello! My one year old...
Hello! My one year old indoor kitty has been lethargic the last 2 days. He was completely fine Sunday. Yesterday he pooped on the bathroom rug and then threw up. He's been keeping to himself in the closet or under desks. Right now he is sitting in one of our 2 litter boxes (we have 3 indoor cats, no dogs). he's usually very loving, playful and loud - he has been none of those these past 2 days.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

He ate about half a human finger nail size portion of cheese whiz Sunday night. No bones, cannot say for sure about toys or trash. The kids had friends over the house this weekend, but that is normal. no medication.
he just made a deep growl sound as he walked out of his litter box

Thank you. Have you noticed any straining in the cat box?

Was the fecal material solid when he went on the rug?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

he will not eat or drink. not even a treat.
nothing is coming out in the litter box. he's been trying to go all day.
fecal matter was solid on the rug Monday morning
vomit was pretty solid too. looked like undigested dry food -

It's time for Frank to go in to see a vet. If he's been trying to go all day and he's now growling when coming out of the box there is strong risk that Frank may be unable to urinate and that he's in a great deal of pain. This can be a medical emergency and may also be life-threatening if a blockage has occurred. It is necessary for him to either be seen by your regular vet today or go to your local veterinary ER if they are closed. I can help you find an ER location if needed. The other behaviors you've witnessed such as defecation on the rug, not eating or drinking, change in his demeanor, etc. are all likely due to the urinary concern that is on-going.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

thank you

You're welcome. I'll be on for a short while longer if you need help locating services. Good luck to you and to Frank.

Good day, JACustomer. Checking in to see how your companion is doing today. How is Frank doing today?

Hi! We took him to the vet and they sent us to a pet hospital last night. He had a catheterization and for financial reasons we brought him home last night after the procedure. His kidneys were in very bad shape - creatine = 16 other reading off their chart. He ate a little bit of the wet food they sent home with me this morning and he drank a little bit of water. He did not go in his litter box, but he dripped blood/bloody urine ? out of his bottom. Not sure if incontinence is normal after that procedure
He's been incredibly affectionate and loving today

Passing bloody urine is normal with many urinary complications including infection and blockage. It should resolve over time, though he's going to be at risk for this happening again in the future. He likely feels substantially better which explains why he's being affectionate today.

Thank you so much for checking in and responding!! Is it normal for the bloody urine to drip out of him... is incontinence after catheterization normal?

I think part of my reply above may not have come through. Passing bloody urine is normal with many urinary complications including infection and blockage. It should resolve over time, though he's going to be at risk for this happening again in the future. Incontinence can be expected, as well, but should resolve.