Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She was not eating and leaking a milky liquid from her anal…

Customer Question
She was not eating...

She was not eating and leaking a milky white liquid from her anal area. She is back to eating and seems like she feels a whole lot better but the leaking is still happening.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Booger and she is probably over 10 years old.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/26/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Have you been noticing any hard stools lately?

Has she been dragging her rear end across the floor or licking herself bald anywhere?

Is it possible for you to photograph her anal area for me and attach it to this chat window so I can have a peek?

Here is the picture. When this first started she was not wanting to eat at all and all she would do is lay around but now she is back to eating and seems to be back to her normal self but the leaking has not stopped.

Okay, I'll peek and then comment.

I am having trouble orienting but it's clear to me that you have pus coming from an abscessed anal sac (most likely) or her vagina (from an open stump pyometra - highly unlikely).

In order to tell what it is for sure, you need to get her right in to your local vet and address the situation with antibiotics at a minimum, and probably surgery (minor if anal sac involved, major if she has a draining stump pyometra).

If you look close you may be able to tell what situation you have. The anal sacs sit at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions with respect to the anal opening. Her vagina is down from it towards the tummy about an inch.

I assume she has been spayed. Has she ever acted like she was in heat since you got her spayed? A retained ovarian fragment would need to produce hormones and then a uterine stump remnant of some size would have to be present for the whole stump pyometra thing to happen and that's rare. And I just can't tell from the photo if the pus is coming from her vulva/vagina or from a ruptured anal sac abscess.

Do you still need help with your question?