Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat got into a cabinet with cleaning supplies and more…

Hi my cat got into...
Hi my cat got into a cabinet with cleaning supplies and more worryingly bug spray. There was vomit behind the trash can where he and the bug spray were. I rinsed him off completely and he is acting completely normally from what I can tell. Would I be safe just monitoring him for a little while?
4/26/2018
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr Hill and I can help you with Rex. Was the bug spray on the floor that he might have licked up?

Tex sorry!

No, it was in the aerosol can and hasn't been used in months
No, it was contained in an aerosol can that hadn't been used in a long time

Ok it could just be coincidental that she vomited around the bug spray. Whats the name of the bug spray?

Eliminator Ant, Roach, and Spider spray. I doubt he would licked it he's never been much for things that come from aerosol cans.

Yes I think its coincidental. Its no unusual for cats to vomit once a week or so. I would just keep an eye on him. If he continues to vomit, acts lethargic or won't eat then definitely let me know. You can give him some milk just in case as it coats the mouth and stomach. I hope this helps. When you get a chance please rate my answer. This is the only way I get compensated. Thanks so much, Dr Hill

Two questions. How do you identify lethargy in cats since they sleep so much? Second, if he's eating treats no problem is that a good sign?

Yes I now right-they sleep all the time. Its more like when you get up to feed them and they dont run to the food like normal. And yes eating treats is a good sign. If he did ingest the toxin I would expect him to be drooling, vomiting, tremoring, and off balance. Again I think its unlikely to happen

Yeah, i'm thinking he's fine cause he keeps licking at his empty food bowl (as he gets fed a certain amount a day)

Yes I think so too

Just for my reference would you expect these symptoms to have already developed if this happened 1 hour ago?

Usually yes within an hour for this type of toxicity

Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Cat Veterinarian