Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat came home just now with wounds all over it. In my…

My cat came home...

My cat came home just now with wounds all over it. In my haste and unable to think clearly I put bluekote on 2 of its wounds around its head. Not realizing til afterwards that it's unsafe for cats. Ive cleaned off as much as I can but he did lick a small amount of it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

No. The wounds werent bleeding when I found him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is your cat's name and age?

Fluffjack and hes about 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fluffjack?

Hes an outdoor cat I suppose? Really strong immune system hes battled some abscesses in the past. All healed. Right now hes a bit lethargic but alert. Ate some and drank some just now.

4/26/2018
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr Hill and I can help you with Fluffjack

Thank you. There are no emergency vets in my area. What can I do a about Fluffjack ingesting a small amount of BlueKote?

So the main reason its not labeled for cats is because its an irritant to the skin and the inside of the mouth and throat. Other than that's pretty benign. The problem is if it burns the mouth cats sometimes are painful and won't eat. I would give him some milk to help dilute the medication. And give him more milk in an hour or 2. Most likely this will be enough to prevent any major issues. You might want feed him wet food for a few days. I would use peroxide to clean the other wounds and apply neosporin. I hope this helps. When you get a chance if you can rate me I would appreciate it. Its the only way I get compensated. Good luck with him, Dr Hill

Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your time that is very much a relief! The answers I was googling were saying far worse would happen if ingested. I will give him milk tonight and wet food for the next few days. Thank you again and I will rate you after I post this!

No problem! Good luck with him, Dr Hill