Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has herpes virus. Recently she has had sneezing,

My cat has herpes...

My cat has herpes virus. Recently she has had sneezing , mild. I took her to vet. She said sneezing related to either allergies or herpes outbreak. She also mentioned noticing gingivitis. She prescribed antibiotic to be given bid for 10 days in wet food. I expressed hesitation because my cat gets diarrhea when she eats routine wet food. The vet said to try. Now after 3 doses, my cat has diarrhea. I do not want to give more. I have googled re problems in developing resistant bacteria. My cat is not even sneezing now. I do not want to hurt her with resistant bacteria but do not want her to suffer with diarrhea. I am so sorry I started this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Hammy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hammy?

She has herpes virus. She has had gingivitis and had teeth cleaning about 2 and one half years ago

4/26/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend stopping the antibiotic. The risk of a resistant bacterial infection is very low, especially when you're dealing with a viral infection. I would stop the antibiotic and return to normal activity as long as the sneezing has subsided. If she continues to have diarrhea after stopping the antibiotic, you can add 1/4 of a teaspoon of Metamucil to her food to increase the fiber content for a few days which usually really helps with the diarrhea.

Thank you very much. That's what I think I should do. Will it cause resistance bacteria re the gingivitis.

No, I've never seen that happen. Usually the gingivitis has less to do with the bacteria in the mouth and usually has more to do with genetics in most cats, meaning some cats are just more prone to gingivitis and might need more dental care throughout life than others in general.

Thank you
You have relieved my worries
The vet was adamant that I continue and even said if hammy hot liquid diarrhea we could shave her but to decrease the mess. I will not go back to her again.
Thank you!

You're welcome, best of luck to you both.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian