Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My almost 19 year old male cat seems to have upset stomach,

My almost 19 year...

My almost 19 year old male cat seems to have upset stomach, he vomits bile and dry heaves and has a little diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not really. I did give,him a few,jumbo temptation treats earlier.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Karl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Karl?

He's hiding in closet, refused,water and treat. Lately he has wanted his waterVERY COLD..

4/26/2018
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis grad and practice owner. I am currently answering your question or will follow up with questions.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. This is my greatest concern with Karl being 19 years of age.

In addition, he is also exhibiting symptoms of stomach distress, so this really warrants more immediate attention by a vet for good supportive therapy.

You can give a 1/4 tablet of a Pepcid A.C. 10mg antaid tablet, but you really need a vet for some good medicine.

A vet can prescribe Cerenia, a anti-vomiting/anti-nausea drug for the stomach, and some metronidazole, which is super popular for helping out with diarrhea.

Basic testing should include a basic blood and urine test. Possibly, a abodminal ultrasound to get a good look at the stomach and intestinal walls and layering.

I am waiting for your answer

Must not have gone thru. Here it is again:

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

Thank you for your help. I will try to give Karl,what you suggested and will get him to the vet tomorrow if he survives the night.
Very welcome. Wish I could do more but serious symptoms. Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?