Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Wanted to ask about some unusual behavior my girlfriend's…

Wanted to ask about...

Wanted to ask about some unusual behavior my girlfriend's family cat has been exhibiting today. We've taken her and her brother in for the week while the parents are out of state and the two have been acclimating well to the new environment. Over the past 24hrs, however, the female cat has been acting strangely. Nearly mute her whole life, she has started meowing and bleating and continued to do this when I left for work this morning, although settled down about an hour after I'd left. When I got home it started up again and she has been treading her hind paws and curling her tail to the side and sometimes between her legs. My first instinct was that she is threatened by me since I am new in her life. Still, she follows me around and demands my attention before returning to her "pose" - tail curled to the side, treading feet, and keeping low to the ground. She was fixed as a kitten - could she be in heat? I do not want to confuse this behavior with something that requires medical attention, so now I am here! Sorry for the book, but wanted to paint as clear a picture as possible. Thanks, vets!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Tater Tot, she'll be 3yo in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Spayed at about 6mo (so we hope!)

4/25/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Many thanks, ***** *****!

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

Having read your question through I have to say it sounds very possible to me that this cat is in season, what you describe is very typical, I wonder if she has not in fact been spayed? While the signs can be variable you can expect to see some or all of the following where a female cat is in season:

1. The cat becomes more affectionate than usual.

2. Your cat rolls around the floor.

3. She carries her tail to one side.

4. The cat becomes very vocal and meows a lot. { Calling } This vocalisation can become very noisy with loud yowls day and night. Her voice may become more piercing than usual.

5. Your cat assumes a position with her hind end in the air and may pad with her back legs.

6. She may lick her genital area more and may urinate more.

Well, the good news is that it does not sound as if this cat is in any danger in terms of disease conditions, and cats are usually only in season for three days at a time, but you may want to check thing out with your girlfriend's parents at some point. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Appreciate the input! Great relief to hear she does not sound sick. Realizing my "(we hope)" comment was more misleading than funny, I do want to confirm that she was spayed at 6mo. Is it possible for a spayed cat to be in heat? Does her cat have a human attraction? It's possible I'm a bit stinky (haha) - anything I should be doing to minimize my pheromone excretion? Could it become a problem to keep her together with her brother (same litter, neutered at 6mo - definitely no testosterone in that one)? Thanks in advance.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. There is one further possibility here, if she has gone through a spaying operation it could be that there was some complication. You see if even a small fragment of ovary was inadvertently left inside her at the time of surgery then she could appear to come into season at some future point. I have certainly known this happen a few times over the course of my career. If we suspect this may be the case then a quick blood test to check her hormone levels could prove the point.

2. Human attraction is not possible, cats would come into season if alone on a desert island!

Regards,

Dr Scott

A further thought, complications following spay surgery may be more common where the cat was spayed at a shelter prior to going to a new owner as it is possible that in some cases a vet with less experience may have carried out the operation ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Good to know! Only a few more questions on the matter and I will consider this thoroughly resolved. Thank you so much!1. She has an apptmt next week. Will a hormone test then be able to tell if she has ovarian tissue left over, or will it return negative if she is out-of-season by that point?2. If it turns out she is NOT in season, what are our next steps for diagnosis?3. Any hunch as to why it seems that I am the cause of her behavior? My guess would be that my girlfriend (basically her mama) has been around her whole life, as has her littermate. Could the presence of a new person trigger this sort of behavior?

1. If she gradually returns to normal over the next three day period then this would be a strong indicator that you are in fact dealing with a cat that is coming onto season due to some complication related to the spay operation.

2. A hormone assay carried over ove the next week or so will give you some insight into what is going on, thats for sure.

3. I very much doubt if a person, either close to the cat or a stranger would trigger this form of behaviour, cats just act on instinct with these things, if our supposition is right her hormone levels will be the sole trigger factor. Please let me know how things go

Regards,

Dr Scott

Will do, and thank you again for your prompt support. Would I reply again to this thread to let you know the results after a week or so?

I will leave the question open permanently so you can get back to me at any future point, and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?