Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old female siamese chocolate point cat. She…

Customer Question
I have a 10...

I have a 10 year old female siamese chocolate point cat. She is afraid of our new cat who is younger, so there have been cat fights or hissing. My doctor gave me 100mg of gabapentin (neurontin) and I am wondering if 100mg is too high for her? I only give it to her if she is having extra emotional stressful day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the siamese's name?

KiKi - I am taking her to my vet next week for a follow up exam, and the new kitty has been with us since last July, but since Jan 2018 Kiki has been more exposed to the new kitty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about KiKi?

She is fully aware of Kiki health etc. The gabapentin is for her anxiety but I don't give it to her every day. I just noticed though the 100mg, and that concerns me. I have soft food that I usually mix for her, so I just thought to give her only half she is 14 pounds

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I understand your concerns. There is a posted (extra label) dose of 50 - 100 mg/cat when we're attempting to reduce fear responses and anxiety associated with veterinary examinations. (Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, Plumb, 2018) Dosing in that range reduced fear responses in a confined community of cats without measurable sedation for over 3 hours-post administration. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

extra label = not approved for that purpose but efficacy for that purpose has been seen

I can sprinkle the full 100mg capsule over her soft food ? It won’t be too much ? I don’t want her to be too slow or wobbly.

Let's see how dosing in the low range (50 mg) affects her. You can always bump the dose up to 100 mg if need be. If 100 mg doesn't do the trick, a true anxiolytic benzodiazepine such as alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin) should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Ana Lucia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?