Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has always been a water drinker and I recently

Hi there. My cat...

Hi there. My cat has always been a water drinker and I recently noticed he hasn't been drinking water. He is now constipated. Ive been giving him pumpkin (which has worked but not so much now). Transitioning him to wet food. What should I do next?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Oogie. Hes about 8yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Oogie (oooo-ghee)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He's a big cat. Always been around 18 lbs. He's a Manx.

4/24/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your questions. I am sorry to hear about Oogie. I love his name! I am working on a response and will be back shortly. A quick question for you... Prior to the decreased consumption of water did you happen to notice that he was drinking water excessively or urinating excessively? How is his appetite?
No excessive drinking or urination. He's eating normally
Okay that is great. So you have a couple options. You can try to add water to his dry food or you can Implement a wet food and add extra water to that. Some cats don't like canned food so it can be difficult in some situations. If the pumpkin is not working then I would Implement some Miralax. You can add 1/4 to a third of a teaspoon twice a day to his food. This has often worked well for Cats that I have treated in the past. If it gets to a point where implementing additional water, canned food and the Miralax/ pumpkin is not resolving the issue then you may have to take him in to be examined to make sure that he does not require an enema. Anytime I see a middle-aged cat that becomes constipated I start looking for underlying disease. It would not be a bad idea to consider having some basic blood work done on him just to make sure that there's nothing else going on, especially if this condition continues.
You could also consider adding a probiotic supplement. Purina makes a great probiotic called fortiflora that can sometimes help with overall intestinal health and it is very palatable. I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation a week, so please send me an update on how things are going or any questions that you may have. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you# ***** have also added water to his wet food, but will try the miralax and probiotic. Hopefully this will help my (not so little) guy and me because I'm anxious about it. Ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!
Okay great. Thank you for the response. Let me know how it goes and send me any additional questions that you may have. If he has a pretty sensitive stomach and you are concerned about switching food that you could certainly implement the Miralax, probiotic and add water to the food before actually changing his diet. Some cats are very sensitive with diet changes and we'll actually get diarrhea if you change the protein source.
then you could certainly implement...
will get diarrhea...
I apologize for the auto correct typos!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole