Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 yr. female spay early @7months has had chronic UTI for…

My 10 yr. female...

My 10 yr. female spay early @7months has had chronic UTI for about 2 years now. Most recent was Nov. 2017 treated with Bactrim about 2 months until UA cleared up. Ultrasound show stones then and started Hills pres. diet. After couple months on the diet she now incontinent and hormone didn't help. I stop diet about a month ago and bought Royal Canin from chewey. Incontinence not any better. She now licking herself a lot and I just noticed mucus in her urine. I lost confidence in her vet because she never gets better. Do you think she infected again? I have to find her a new vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Sarah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sarah?

She is allergic to vaccines and has to have a shot before they given. Other than that she has been a healthy dog.

This is not a cat Sarah is a dog a Puggle breed
4/24/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Take your time
No don't call

I understand your frustration after a long period of trying to help your pup, and seeing multiple issues crop up (infections, incontinence, calculi) with no real improvement.

Mucous and increased licking likely indicates inflammation and in her case an infection is probably at least part of the issue.

It is possible that she has a urinary tract infection and the inflammation is mucous production, causing her to feel like she has to urinate even when very little is present, thus her repeated straining, and to dribble urine when she is asleep.

Dogs with urinary tract calculi (stones) or crystals will also have inflammation and can suffer secondary urinary tract infections. Likewise dogs with repeated infections can develop urinary calculi. Sometimes it is hard to determine which issue came first.

Another possibility for incontinence is that she has some sort of internal organ disease (diabetes, liver, or kidney disease) that is causing her to drink more water such that she simply can't hold it for any period of time.

Other possibilities are some spinal arthritis that is affecting the nerves that control continence and causing her to dribble or since she is spayed then she may have hormone related incontinence. The lack of estrogen can weaken the urethral muscles causing urine to leak when they are deeply asleep. This certainly seems like it could be part of the issue for her

Incontinence will predispose to secondary infections. If the urethra is weak enough for urine to dribble out that easily allows bacteria to ascend her urethra too. And as I stated infections are a common underlying cause for calculi to develop

She needs to see a veterinarian for an examination, urinalysis with culture to look for infection, possible radiographs/an ultrasound to look for calculi, and some blood tests to look for abnormal organ function if her urine looks abnormal (very dilute or has protein or glucose in it).

If this is related to weak urethral muscle function due to lack of estrogen medication such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) and or estrogen (DES) can help that, and if it is related to spinal arthritis then treating that with anti-inflammatories as well could help. And it is likely that she needs a course of antibiotics to treat her probable infection.

In the meantime push fluids. Increasing water consumption helps by diluting the urine, thus decreasing its irritant effects. You should feed her primarily canned food, and add chicken broth or warm water to increase fluid intake further. You can offer ice cubes to lick too.

Cranberry capsules can help prevent some infections and some types of crystal formation, but they do not work once the infection is established or crystals/calculi have formed. In dogs they are only helpful in preventing a few types of E. coli bacteria from causing an infection, and they can cause nausea and vomiting in some dogs, so they are rarely worth the effort. It will be important to culture her urine before, midway and after treatment, and then periodically to make sure she does not have recurrences.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

If you have lost confidence in your current veterinarian then perhaps asking trusted neighbors or friends for recommendations will lead to one you can trust and work with. Sarah will need close monitoring, and it is important to find a veterinarian that you can work with as a team!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you I will start trying to find her a new vet or maybe just go back to hers. Your answer was what I expected was wrong maybe this time they can try something other than Bactrim to get her clear up. Maybe Cipro? actually wisest choice is go to where her records are. I will call and make appt..

That sounds like a good plan. Just make sure that they run cultures on her urine, both because we want to make sure we are using the best antibiotic for her and because we want to make sure the infection is truly cleared. If a low grade infection is allowed to fester that can create permanent damage and lead to kidney failure.