Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 15 year old cat has stage one kidney disease. My vet is…

My 15 year old cat...
My 15 year old cat has stage one kidney disease. My vet is pushing the prescription diets and it feels like they are trying to guilt trip me into buying them. I go to http://mudbay.com/ to get her food. Since the diagnosis, she has been eating wet food with a low phosphorous content. Is that an option going forward? Also considering raw food but not sure if that is best-in the long run.
4/24/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

First, I am sorry for this diagnosis in Destino. Unfortunately, kidney failure is a pretty common situation in aging cats.

Do you know if your vet conducted a SDMA test & what the result was?

Is Destino showing any problems, or was the kidney disease found on routine bloodwork?

I would not recommend a raw diet as it is very difficult to control the types of things that are going on with kidney disease, as I can explain further, plus there is the hassle of preparation & potential contamination with bacteria.

Do not let your vet guilt you into starting a kidney diet, but there is some real research behind these diets that show they really do help.

Please continue with any questions or concerns I can help with.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
They did 2 sdma tests, one in September and one in March. The first one showed slightly elevated levels and the second one was through the roof because she had a urine infection. She was given clomidix? to cure the infection and they are re testing in May. Kidney disease was discovered on routine blood work. Can you give me some research that shows the effectiveness of these diets? Do veterinary offices benefit financially if they sell a kidney diet to me? I'm concerned it's like medical doctors and big pharma.

Thanks for the additional info. If the SDMA exceeds 14 mcg/dl &/or creatinine is > 1. mg/dl dietary intervention does benefit renal function. Typically, therapeutic renal diets have decreased protein, phosphorous & sodium content, increased caloric density, increased soluble fibers, B complex vitamins, antioxidants, & increased omega-3 fatty acids when compared to the average industry or commercial pet food. The goal of nutritional therapy is to slow the progression of kidney disease.

You can go to the Hills.com website & look at their information which is genuine. They do real research & development on all of their product & all veterinarians consider this company as important in the aid to fighting disease as many of the drug companies.

We do benefit from selling these products in our offices, but there is no way we can keep a complete inventory, so if you can purchase it for less money in a large pet retailer or on-line, we will gladly write you a prescription for the food. But remember, those sites are making just about the same markup as your veterinarian might get. No one gives these foods away for free or at cost. Medicine is business, no matter how you look at it.

Please let me know if I can help with any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.