Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat licked some cooking oil out of a pan about 4 hours…

My cat licked some...

My cat licked some cooking oil out of a pan about 4 hours ago. Now he's a bit sluggish and won't eat. He seems very sleepy and just not himself. He just had his annual checkup last week. He's healthy, except for a slight heart murmur (a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is your cat's name and age?

Rusty. He's about 8.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?

He's 100% indoors. His blood tests cam back good, even thyroid. He's healthy overall.

4/24/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Rusty and the cooking oil. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How much cooking oil (approximately) are we talking about?
  • Any sign of any vomiting at all?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

I would say roughly 2-3 tablespoons. No vomiting and no diarrhea yet. He's only drank water, won't eat.

Thank you for your quick reply. Typing in more now...

First, it's important for me to let you know that even this relatively small amount of cooking oil could potentially cause a problem for your cat. It doesn't take much of a really rich and fatty food to upset the stomach and cause loss of appetite, pain, and vomiting and diarrhea. It's even possible for it to cause pancreatitis, which is a more serious type of digestive upset that can require hospitalization for IV fluids to treat.

If this is something serious, however, I would expect there to also be vomiting.

With that in mind, none of this sounds particularly like an emergency yet.

Secondly, we have to consider that it *is* possible Rusty is acting this way due to something completely unrelated to the cooking oil; it could be a coincidence.

(typing more)

That being said, simply being a bit sluggish and refusing to eat just this one meal so far do NOT indicate and emergency. Keep an eye out for things that do:

• severe vomiting
  • severe pain/distress
  • pale gums/white gums
  • seizures
  • collapse or loss of consciousness
  • labored breathing

It's quite possible this will pass over the next 24 hours and no treatment will be needed. If he goes more than 2 days without eating, however, or develops any of the symptoms I listed above, seek veterinary help right away.

Is there anything else I can help you with? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know how worrisome this can be.

I do hope this information is helpful.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response wih 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today. Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
I'm 99% certain it's the oil. He was fine this evening. Then I saw him obsessively licking his front paw and rubbing his head (grooming). He was licking his paw and the leg non stop for several minutes. Then I realized what it probably was. Thank you for the symptoms to watch for. I'll see how he is over the next day.

Sounds good.

Yes, it's overwhelmingly likely it's the oil.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. In the meantime, I'll be hopeful he sleeps it off overnight.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo