Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a bump on his chin about half the size of a nickel…

Customer Question
He has a bump...

He has a bump on his chin about half the size of a nickel that is soft i just washed it with anti bacterial soap and it doesnt bother him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

But I saw him scratching at it this evening until some fur flew off he is about 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Scar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scar?

Nope, totally great health super playful

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/24/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 4 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis grad and practice owner. I am currently answering your question or will follow up with questions.

Sorry to hear about the skin.

Well, a few things to consider:

1. It could be a trauma from having bumped in to something.

2. It could be a skin infection or ingrown hair.

3. Many cats, right in that location, develop what is called chin acne. It can present with a few difference appearances, but a soft lump could be one.

So, you will need to get in to a vet so they can see and feel it. Scar may very well need some antibiotic therapy and a good topical medication to remedy the skin lesion.

Thats what i figured it was. thanks anyways

Just a question if oral antibiotics are necessary, and I would suspect, that a steroid/antibiotic cream might be worthwhile as well.

Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. Greatly appreciated.