Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 18-tear old cat has recently developed a hard bump under…

My 18-tear old cat has...
My 18-tear old cat has recently developed a hard bump under her chin. It seems like the start of an absess or maybe a tumor. I know she should go to the vet and am planning to take her - but what are some of the possible causes?
4/4/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr. Z. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Fiona today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is the lump part of the skin (moves with it) or is it under the skin (skin moves over it)?

Does it seem painful when you touch it?

Is it soft or firm?

How large is it?

I think it is under the skin. It is firm now. It sticks out below her jaw and is about the same width. It extends about 1/2 inch from her con towards her throat but is still under her jaw area. She lets me touch it so I don’t think it hurts.

Thank you for the reply.

You are right that an abscess or a tumor has to be on the list of differentials, but an abscess is not usually firm. Another possibility could be a tooth root abscess. The roots of the lower jaw teeth are very deep in the bone of the jaw and if an abscess forms, it can lead to a hard swelling. It is also possible that it could be an acne lesion, like a comedone, although they are not usually that large.

You are smart to have it evaluated by your vet.

It is impossible to diagnose most lumps just by the way they look or feel, but there are other ways to determine the seriousness of the lump.

There is a test called a fine needle aspirate (FNA) which can be performed by collecting a sample of cells from the mass with a needle and then examining under the microscope. This can usually be done right in the clinic. It is not always definitive enough to let you know the exact cause of the lump, but it may help to make the decision of if anything else needs to be done, like surgical removal. Some growths are easily identified as benign and that is all that needs to be done.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Thank you. I bet it is a tooth abscess. She had her teeth cleaned 6 months ago but they were in bad condition. Thank you for your advice. I understand it could be something else and that it’s hard to tell. I feel better about it and will get her to the vet. Thank you. Have a good day.

You are most welcome. Good luck with her. Please keep me posted as to what they find.

Please don't forget to rate our conversation.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hi Sally,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fiona. How is everything going?
petdrz