Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 4 house cats 3 of them are siblings that are 14 years…

Customer Question
I have 4 house...

I have 4 house cats 3 of them are siblings that are 14 years old have been health but over weight all of their lives. It started with one after putting on frontline flea on her she broke out all over her belly and started to lose hair. I took her to the vet my vet her ruled out fleas and told me she had a issue with her liver and was not able to filter the frontline. That was 6 months ago. Now the siblings are losing hair they never broke out like the first one or are scratching. The other female has lost hair on her hind hocks and the male over his kidneys very uniform. Please help me they dont appear to be ill. The females have lost weight but are not under weight the male is still obese. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Sulley, DB and Roxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sulley?

There are 3 and they are siblings Sulley DB and Roxy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the photos. These affected areas are areas commonly denuded by my patients. A trichogram (microscopic exam of hairs from these areas) will reveal blunted hairs - hairs that have lost their points - which indicates trauma from the rough tongue of cats. A flea saliva allergy is most likely although atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) needs to be considered as well. Food allergy/intolerance isn't as common or likely to affect two cats in the same household. Cats are often silent groomers spending time grooming in the dead of night when you're not watching them.

Are they currently being administered a flea preventative?

Revolution
the hair loss is uniform both sides are the same sulleys back has to patches same area both sides and he is to fat to groom his back so I dont think that is grooming for him now Roxy maybe because it is her hocks but it is uniform on her as well

Thank you. I would have a trichogram performed to confirm or deny that they had denuded themselves - it's highly likely that that's the case - and have their vet examine the affected areas carefully for eosinophilic dermatitis - a form of allergic dermatitis particular to the cat. If found, a low dose of a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone should be very effective in normalizing your cats. If their agehealth precludes the use of a systemic steroid, these areas can be addressed with a very thin film of a topical steroid cream.

I understand your concerns. If the hair loss isn't due to their denuding themselves, the trichogram will reveal normal pointed hairs. In that case, we look for endocrine (hormonal) disorders that result in bilateral alopecia. Hypothyroidism is the most common of these endocrine disorders but isn't a common finding in cats overall. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Our messages may have crossed. Can you see my last post timestamped 03:52 (my time)? If not, please let me know and I'll repost it.

no message with that stamp

Here it is again: "Thank you. I would have a trichogram performed to confirm or deny that they had denuded themselves - it's highly likely that that's the case - and have their vet examine the affected areas carefully for eosinophilic dermatitis - a form of allergic dermatitis particular to the cat. If found, a low dose of a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone should be very effective in normalizing your cats. If their age/health precludes the use of a systemic steroid, these areas can be addressed with a very thin film of a topical steroid cream.

I understand your concerns. If the hair loss isn't due to their denuding themselves, the trichogram will reveal normal pointed hairs. In that case, we look for endocrine (hormonal) disorders that result in bilateral alopecia. Hypothyroidism is the most common of these endocrine disorders but isn't a common finding in cats overall. Please continue our conversation if you wish."
Thank you I will make a appointment with my vet.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

ok I will.

I appreciate it!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?