Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Second opinion] A few days ago, our little cat who was born…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello! A...

Second opinion] Hello! A few days ago, our little cat who was born with scoliosis got out of our fenced backyard. When my husband found him, he had blood coming out of his anus. He has had a bad history with hookworms and we have to deworm him frequently. The blood was bright red. This was on Friday. We gave him dewormer and the bleeding stopped until this morning. Now he seems to have a bit of bloody diarrhea. Should I be concerned ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Oh thank you. I didn�t realize that I clicked the wrong specialist. I apologized.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Please focus on this instead of the previous write up.
We have a small cat with scoliosis. Wednesday last, he had an episode where he was bleeding out his rectum. It last 30-40 minutes. No events until Tuesday, today, almost a week and has a small bloody brown discharged for 5 minutes flowed by a normal stool with no sign of blood. Should we be concerned. Does this set off your alarms? Should I take him to the vet ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I reviewed your previous conversation with my excellent colleague Dr. Kara. To answer you directly, no, a vet visit might be avoided. The small bloody brown discharge can suggest incomplete worming against hookworms, a colitis, or perhaps anal gland infection/impaction. As long as he's otherwise well, my initial approach to him would be to worm with over the counter fenbendazole (Panacur) daily for three consecutive days and then repeat the three day course in two weeks. If you didn't see a prompt and lasting normalization of his stools after the initial three days of worming, the diagnosis of intestinal parasites needs to be revisited. Fenbendazole addresses all of the nematodes (roundworm, hookworm) as well as the protozoan Giardia - all of which can cause hematochezia - blood from the anus. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

That was very helpful. You sound very clear that the bleeding is related to the worming. And how to address the issue without expensive ultrasound and colonoscopy . Thank you.

You're quite welcome. We're not at the point at which ultrasound or colonoscopy should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.