Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's old, around 17. weak in the hindquarters, can no

Customer Question
She's old, around 17...

She's old, around 17. weak in the hindquarters, can no longer negotiate stairs, drools excessively, and seems confused and lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Maumau

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maumau?

Clear eyes, healthy appetite, seems to drink more water, hard stools, no longer tries to run and hide from dog or strangers

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
she has always seemed reluctant to jump any higher than the bed, now she has difficulty walking and standing, especially on slick floors. she seems to be sensitive to being touch around top rear. I suspect the end is near and this is a combination of old age and maybe myopathy or arthritis. It seems that whatever it is will be costly to diagnose and treat, plus, due to age, the prognoses will not be good. My question is am I correct that this could be a terminal condition or am I completely off base and this could simply be an extreme case of indigestion?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Also, she quit cleaning herself a couple of months ago.
4/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. With her age, there can be many things that cause her symptoms. It is very likely it is a combination of things as well. With her hind quarter weakness, what has to be determined is if it is an orthopedic issue (i.e.; arthritis) or a neurologic issue. With neurologic issues, a spinal cord tumor or a herniated disk would be the primary concerns. With her drooling and confusion, though, she may have a liver or kidney issue, both of which can cause inflammation around the brain from toxin buildup and subsequent neurologic problems. The drooling could be something going on in the mouth, such as inflammation, periodontal disease, a painful tooth or a mass; but it could be due to nausea from problems with the liver, kidneys or pancreas or even inflammatory bowel disease or gastrointestinal lymphoma. A neurologic problem affecting swallowing could also cause excessive drooling. There is not a lot you can safely give a cat over the counter to try to combat these symptoms. Determining the right course also requires knowing exactly what is going on. The safest thing you can try it Pepcid (2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight every 12-24 hours) in case it is just indigestion. Most likely something more serious is going on, though. It won't do anything for the other issues, though. My best advice is to get her to your vet for a full exam and blood work to determine what is going on and what treatment options are. Unfortunately, with her age, you may need to start thinking about her quality of life as well, depending on what is found and what can be done. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Maumau is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian