Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My bijon frise (about 14 lbs) has eaten 3.5 oz of milk

Customer Question
My bijon frise (about...

My bijon frise (about 14 lbs) has eaten 3.5 oz of milk chocolate. I believe choc is harmfull to dogs. What shoudl I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is your cat's name and age?

He is a dog (not a cat). His name is ***** ***** is about 4 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dodger?

He is exhibiting no signs of sickness or diarrhea. This happened at least four hours ago

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 24 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again

My 14-pound dog ate 3.5 ounces of milk chocolate.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Dodger very much { If at all }, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. He should be just fine, but let's talk things over in more depth ...

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Dodger's weight as being in the region of 14 pounds then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 9.8 ounces of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today { 3.5 ounces } was very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Dodger's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 19 days ago

I am just checking back in to see how Dodger got on with the chocolate issue ...

Regards,

Dr Scott