Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat currently has kidney stones. We already took her to…

Customer Question
My cat currently has...

My cat currently has kidney stones. We already took her to see the vet and he said to try changing her diet. She doesn't like wet food nor broths. Seems that she only likes to eat dry food. She never looked like she was in much pain even when the vet gave her pain medication. We have been monitoring the process and these past few days she has been staring. She is bleeding when urinating. She always purrs and carries on even though this problem exists except for today. This morning it looked like a blood bath through out my house. She was acting the same despite it but when I got home tonight she clearly is in pain. Our vet office is closed and we don't have any money to take her to the ER. I bought some calming liquid to see if that might help her stress levels. A pet store associate told me to give her baby aspirin but I'm not sure how much to give her. She is about 20 lbs. what do you suggest?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Currently?

She vomited her food which I associate with the amount of pain.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/3/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for reaching out to me today. My name is***** and I will be happy to help you and your kitty. I do NOT recommend using aspirin in cats, especially one with kidney issues. That could be very dangerous and make things worse. Unfortunately there is not a safe pain reliever you can get over the counter. What I would recommend is to warm a blanket in the dryer for a few minutes, and allow her to lay on the blanket or wrap her it. It's like using a heating pad when you have a sore muscle, but safer for cats. If she will tolerate it, offer her water or pedialyte with a syringe to help keep her hydrated. Increasing her fluid intake will help with the blood in her urine. If her symptoms persists, make sure to take her for a follow up with your regular veterinarian tomorrow.