Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had a lazy eye since the day I adopted him when…

Customer Question
My cat has had...

My cat has had a lazy eye since the day I adopted him when he was about 4 months old. The last couple of days it has become more prominant. There is no redness, no discharge. The last couple of days he seems to rub it more. He is now almost 2 years old. Not sure what I should do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

As stated above he is keeping one of his eyes closed or partially closed almost like he is winking. No redness, no discharge. He has been rubbing it more often.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?

No. He is still active, eating the same. This eye has been "lazy" since that day I adopted him but now worse.

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 17 days ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Oliver today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I am not so much worried about the strabismus (lazy eye) but am a little more concerned about the partial closure of the lid and the rubbing of the eye. It is possible he may have injured the eye or that there is pain or discomfort that is causing him to want to keep it partially closed. Not all injuries to the eye can be seen without the use of special equipment or stains, especially injuries to the corneal surface. Cats are particularly prone to flare up of herpes virus infections that can lead to discomfort and photophobia (avoiding the light) which can make them squint.

Any pathology involving the eye or the conjunctiva may make the strabismus seem more prominent. If it was something he was born with, it is likely not going to progress, but anything that may further irritate the extraocular muscles that control eye movement might make it appear more prominent. I would definitely recommend that you have Oliver examined by your vet so that they can better evaluate his eye for disease.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian