Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How much is this I'm disabled with limited funds but my 7…

Customer Question
How much is this...

How much is this I'm disabled with limited funds but my 7 month old cat is sick been treated 3 times for upper respiratory infection and last time had a light fever and touch of ammonia got another shot and stronger amoxicillin in 2 days looked a lot better but then went the other way he seemed to have a seizure and eyes are dilated sleeps a lot coat back to scruffy he gets his claws stuck in everything and i got to get him lose don't seem to see good now and he's starting to sneeze and wheeze again also he only weighs 3.5lbs eats normal and eats lost what to do vet wants to see him again thought they might have over medicated him last time

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

I think a went over everything unless he's got a question the amoxicillin was straight not mixed dosage of 0.5 daily

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

Awww, poor Charlie...I'm sorry you're having these issues. Chronic upper respiratory infections can be frustrating. If he seems to be improving with the Amoxicillin great, but if he isn't I'd definitely recommend a different antibiotic be tried...something that get different bacteria. I like doxycycline.

Another medicine I'd ask your vet about is cerenia. It's actually an anti-nausea medicine, but can be used for other issues that cause inflammation. It can be given orally for stuffy nose and diluted as eye drops for eye issues.

As far as longer term maintenance, I highly recommend you get him on a supplement called L-lysine (Viralys is a common brand). It is anti-viral. I recommend you get it in the powder form that can be sprinkled on the food. Give it twice daily while he's having symptoms, then once a day for life to help prevent upper respiratory symptoms. Here's an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-410633-Viralys-Powder-100gm/dp/B000FULBT4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1522665737&sr=8-10&keywords=lysine+powder

Hope this helps Charlie! Let me know if this answers your question or if I can help in any other way!

Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; I am not compensated for my time otherwise. You can always follow up with questions after rating.

How's Charlie doing? Can I help you with anything else?