Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats name is nora and she is around a year and a few

Customer Question
My cats name is...

My cats name is ***** ***** she is around a year and a few months , my husband found her as a very small kitten and we've been taking care of her ever since , my husband had her checked out as a kitten but she has no shots and she isnt spaded. Recently we found out our mal cat was eating her food and not leaving much for her , now about an hour ago we see shes thrown up her food in the room ! is she really sick ?! is this an emergency

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Nora eat anything unusual?

No she doesnt like human food not like the male cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nora?

Um not really shes very healthy or so i think she eats regularly drinks water and uses the bathroom regularly .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/2/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Thank you for getting back to me. I know she hasn't eaten anything bad her throw up looked like the food we feed her so it was like chunky orange and green . But there's no chemicals or toys or human meds in the room with her . She can keep water down she was drinking water last night and this morning . She doesn't really like her belly touched but she didn't tense up or run away when i touched it .her gums are pinkish but more white thank pink . They are also moist . Her poops look solid and not runny .

Hello again,

First, I am glad to hear that she hasn't had anything harmful since at her age eating items they should not have (ie foreign bodies) is so common. That aside, while his taking food won't have helped her it is not likely to have caused her current signs. So, we will need to keep an eye on that but with regards ***** ***** vomiting, we'd be worried about a possible benign hairball (but less so if she vomits more than once) but also a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, to soothe her nausea, you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on small meals of a light diet option (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free)). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, we can also give her a dose of OTC cat hairball paste to just move any hairballs (or anything else in the stomach) down the intestines and out the right way.

Since dehydration is a risk with wee ones like Nora, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. Also if Nora hasn't been wormed in the past month then we'd want to do that as well just to make sure we can rule those out here. But if we use the above and she vomits more or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**