Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My four year old female cat is vomiting bile. She sits by…

Customer Question
My four year old...

My four year old female cat is vomiting bile. She sits by her water bowl but won't drink. I was able to get her to eat a little wet food by putting it on my fingers and getting her to lick it off. Normally she eats dry food but won't touch it. This has been going on for about 2 days, but I noticed her losing weight about a week ago. She is spayed and not pregnant. I don't see any discharge from her eyes or nose. Because she is a bit overweight, she's never been a really lively cat, but she is very listless now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She lives with three other cats, who so far appear healthy. We had a cat who had to be put down in August due to feline leukemia and I fear that she might have it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 3 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. i'm sorry to hear your cat is experiencing this.

I always think it fine to monitor a cat for a day, but two days means this is not going to clear on its own. Unfortunately vomiting, losing weight and not eating are not specific to indicate any one problem. It could be due to anything from ingestion of unusual item that has upset the digestive tract or is blocking it to organ issue (liver, kidney) to infection (bacterial, viral) and the list continues.

My absolute best recommendation is to have her seen on emergency today given how long she has been having the issue. If this is not possible I can make a few hints for you to try at home, but my concern is because she is vomiting nothing may stay down long enough to have an effect, and I am concerned she may be dehydrated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey