Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat throwing up Easter grass. Easter grass. Snow 4. Snow ate…

Customer Question
Cat throwing up Easter...

Cat throwing up Easter grass

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Easter grass

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Easter?

Snow 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Easter?

Snow ate Easter grass

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Do you think he brought it all up?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Friday we think. No water yet. Threw up yesterday and this morning. Now only throwing up liquid

Oh dear,

Now Easter grass is the bane of my existence when it comes to cat patients. The problem is that if a cat ingests it, we can see mechanical problems (obstruction) as opposed to toxic ones. When it does cause trouble it is not just because it causes vomiting; but usually because one end of this linear foreign body lodges in the upper portion of the gut while the rest travels further down. This leads to tension of the easter grass, and if it doesn't break of its own accord, we get the guts pulled tight together, causing obstruction of the gut and this can even lead to the grass 'cheese wire' through the gut and perforate it causing serious complications.

Since he has ingested it quite a bit ago and is showing adverse signs at this stage, it would be prudent to have him seen now. If it had been earlier (while the grass was only as far as the stomach), then there would have been the option of inducing vomiting or having your vet remove the grass via endoscope but at this stage it is likely too late for that.

The main things we watch out for in these cases are appetite loss, vomiting, lethargy, and abdominal pain (sometimes the cats will hide or act aggressive). We can also seen throat signs (coughing, throat pain) and blood (in vomit or feces) or darkening of the stool if the grass is causing trauma to the gut. Because you are seeing some of these signs, then he should be seen by his vet urgently. They can have a feel of his belly +/- x-rays to help rule in or out an obstruction. If there is obstruction, then surgery will be indicated to remove it as soon as possible. Hopefully, though this will not be the case and he will pass this grass with his stools (which the vet can dispense treatment to aid him in doing so).

Any delay and you can at least try adding some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines if we can. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. But again if we cannot get him settled down we need to be proactive.

Overall, Easter grass is a nightmare when our cats eat it. And if your lad is showing signs of vomiting, we do have to take this seriously and act quickly. Therefore, it would be best to have his vet check him now to make sure he isn't already obstructed by this. If there is, it needs to be addressed right away. And if it has not, then treatment should be started to pass the Easter grass out of his body as soon as possible.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**