Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat hasn’t been eating for about 5 days now and i just…

My cat hasn’t been...

My cat hasn’t been eating for about 5 days now and i just managed to get him to eat a little wet food before I gave him his Mirtazapine and metronidazole. I gave him the mirtazoine and before I could give him the metro he started excessively drooling and wouldn’t take the metro. He has never reacted to it this way but this also was only his second dose of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name?

Squishy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Squishy?

He has been taking water and up until Wednesday he had been throwing up just some liquid because he haven’t ingested anything else and he was extremely lethargic and he isolated himself until yesterday afternoon when he started coming out again but now he’s back to hidding

4/1/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is he on any other medication besides those 2?

What tests has his vet done? What have they diagnosed him with?

Just those.
This is everything they did:
Physical exam
Cernia 10 mg/ml Injectable
Convenus 80 mg/ml
Fecal sample
Intestinal parasite fecal exam
Metronidazole 250 mg tablet
Radiology abdomen
Subcutaneous fluid therapy
Superchem/ CBC /urinalysis
They diagnosed him with a UTI and an stress enduced infected (from being home on spring break with some other cats)

Hello again,

Now it does sound like they've been thorough though my concern with his drooling is that either he bit into the Mirtazapine as you gave it (its quite bitter and cats will react this way) or we have underlying nausea still causing bother despite the Cerenia. With these in mind, the first step is to rinse his mouth in case he did bite it and once the residue is removed the drooling usually will settled. Otherwise, its not clear how long ago Squishy had the Cerenia but it only works for 24 hours. So, if it has been longer, we may need to ring his vet about a oral version to continue or you could at least try him with OTC Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Our hope is that if we do that we can get him settled and back onto the Metronidazole and his treatment. Of course, if he doesn't settle with those steps, then we may need his vet again to send home a strong oral anti-nausea medication for you or we may need them to look into this further as stress cystitis or even bacterial forms usually do not cause nausea/appetite loss in kitties.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.
**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Okay thank you! I rinsed his mouth out and it stoped almost immediately! Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is perfect and our best case scenario.

Though do keep an eye on his appetite and hopefully that will keep picking up. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Do I leave the rating here?
Rating 5/5

Thank you, ***** *****

That is grand and I am grateful. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.