Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My car got into a fight a couple days ago. I just noticed a

Customer Question

My car got into a fight a couple days ago. I just noticed a puncture wound tonight on her stomach as she was licking it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 13 pound cat
JA: OK. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cairo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cairo?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How deep is the puncture?

Is there any pus or discharge from it?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A little puss and really red and she won’t stop licking it. It’s also hard around the edges ��
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

Now we will need to be proactive here for Cairo. First, even though she wants to lick it, we cannot let her. This is because her saliva is full of bacteria and she will just infect this more. So, we may need an ecollar (or a baby tshirt/babygro) on to block her access to the area. From there, we need to be flushing this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. That way we can try to reduce bacterial load, reduce pus and give the body a chance to heal this. That said, we need to monitor this if there is a hard edge since that suggests its not fresh and therefore the cells there may not actively try to close the wound. So, if we do the above and get that infection away we still need to keep an eye that this is closing. If you don't see it shrinking in size over the weekend, then we'd want her seen once the vet is open as we may need systemic antibiotics but also the wound edges freshened (+/- a stitch) so the body will close this/.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************
Afterward, as I am dedicating my holiday to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.