Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 9 year old cat was prescribed 200mg of gabapemtin and…

Customer Question
Hi...my 9 year old...

Hi...my 9 year old cat was prescribed 200mg of gabapemtin and 0.5ml of phenobarbital twice daily. I gave him his first dosages about 4pm today. He is currently very lethargic; his ears are cold, his pupils are dilated, and his gums look pale. I'm afraid the medicines may be too strong. his condition is scaring me. Have I poisoned my cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your cat ate?

He had sardines in water with a bit of squash. He is raw fed but on a very restricted diet due to his auto-immune disease which has caused severe allergies to grains, chicken, et al. He also has a spider-bite wound on his left ribcage which caused severe neuritis which he constantly attacks to the point of mutilation, hence the meds for the next week. A blood test Monday pronounced him quite healthy otherwise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He has been allergic to every type of commercial food because of the grains, chicken, and preservatives. He has been on raw foods since his adoption from animal control January 2009. I started cooking his meats last month to decrease the histamine reactions and it is working but I still have to be very careful about what foods to feed him. The vet prescribed these medications to decrease the neuritis symptoms and anxiety. She also did 4 different tests to rule out FeLV, FIV, organ functions, and immune-mediated diseases; all negative.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about your cat and I am very worried. This combination of drugs may have been too much for him. If his gums are pale, he need medical attention and fluid therapy until these drugs wear off.

Why were these medications prescribed? How much does he weigh?

I am worried about your cat. I hope you are seeing what I am sending and that you can get him to an emergency veterinarian.

Please let me know how he is doing and if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian