Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat vomited blood 2 days ago. We went to the vet clinic.

Customer Question
Hi! My cat vomited...

Hi! My cat vomited blood 2 days ago. We went to the vet clinic. They made some blood tests and told us that her proteins were low as well as her white blood cells i think. They gave her an injection of cat gravol and sent us home with cerenia, sulcrate suspension and ranitidine inj.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Croquette

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Croquette?

She is a 10 years old siamese. She also just peed and pooped on the floor

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
She is not acting like herself at all. She is not grooming herself. I just had to give her a bath because she had laid down in her pee... she doesn't like bath and didn't even freak out while in the water. We are scheduled to get her an ultrasound on Monday because our vet didn't have any appt available today and they are closed tomorrow for easter. She also foams (drool foam) when we give her the injections in her mouth. I would like to know if this is a life threatening situation for her since I do not trust the only 24h vet clinic in town and I only want to go there as a last resort. Thanks!
She also keeps laying on the floor on her belly which she never does.
Is someone working on my question? The estimated time was 8 min and it has been 45 min
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

She is doing much better right now. She groomed a little bit but she is still not herself

What symptoms are you still seeing at this time?

She is sleeping so nothing at this moment. But yesterday she wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. She peed on the floor and then laid in it so we had to wash her in the bath. There instead of freaking out like usual, she just laid in the water and didn't even fuss. So after that we would put her in the litter every 3h so she could pee. It was like she couldn't move and then when she couldn't hold it anymore, she peed. But then later during the night, she got up on her own and drank, ate a bit and used the bathroom. It's like the gravol for cat we are giving her is too strong and she can't move...

That will depend both on the dosage she received and her reaction to the medication. Depression can most certainly occur gravol. You mentioned being sent home with Cerenia, sucralfate and ranitidine. Are you also giving gravol orally?

all of those are given orally. Cerenia is the gravol
The other two are liquids given by an oral seringe

Gravol is Dimenhydrinate. Cerenia is Maropitant citrate. Which medication are you using?

What is written on the medication is cerenia,
Sulcrate suspension and ranitidine inj.

Thank you. The "Cerenia is the gravol" statement made it sound like there was confusion over which medication was which. If the Gravol was given as injection its effects should have begun to wear off by the 8-12 hour mark following the injection. Weakess from her illness could certainly be to blame for her not feeling strong (showing signs of weakness) and not moving much.

Ok

Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks! I don't think i will use this website again... have a great day