Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A year ago my vet said my cat had diabetes my husband didn't…

Customer Question
A year ago my...

A year ago my vet said my cat had diabetes my husband didn't want to do the shots and I just couldn't put him down then it's been a year now and he was ok just drank a lot and pee a lot now oh and are a lot now he not eating much and is throwing up is it time to put him to sleep

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Just if it's time I don't want him suffering but I will miss him so much

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat.

If diabetes is not treated with insulin, it eventually is a terminal disease. However, this vomiting and not eating could be from some other problem such as inflammatory bowel disease.

If you want to keep him with you longer, he should be examined by a veterinarian. It may not be too late to start him on insulin, and improve his quality of life and the possibility he could live for awhile to come.

They told me the damage is probably done he not drinking either but he gets around good

The damage may or may to be done, or irreversible. Having an exam and some basic blood tests at your veterinarian would tell you that for sure. If his kidneys are failing, it may be too late to do anything, but you don't know unless you have him checked out.

Please let me know how is doing and if you have other questions. If you want to help him, it may not be too late, but he would need to see your veterinarian as soon as possible.

If giving him insulin injections is not possible, then he will eventually die of being diabetic, but that may not be what is happening now.

I wil not be online much longer tonight. Please let me know if this is helpful and how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

How is your cat doing? Do you have any other questions, and was my answer helpful?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?