Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Newborn abandoned kitten help. What do we do to help it. Its…

Customer Question
Newborn abandoned kitten help ...

Newborn abandoned kitten help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the kitten?

What do we do to help it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?

Its not hut its been rejected

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nope the sac and cord is still attached

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the kitten eating normally?

Mother thought it was dead and so did we until we picked it up with gloves on then it moved we tried to put it back to mom but she wanted nothing to do with it

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the kitten's name?

Its a male and wevew named him buddy faith

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

We try to give him milk replacer but hes not wanting to eat much

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
before buddy started to want to suckle he grabbed my finger and held onto it
very strong grp just doesnt want to suckle
4/1/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the first step will be to remove that umbilical cord if his mum did not do so. To do this, use clean dental floss and tie the cord as tight as possible 1 inch from him. Once we have that in place, sterile scissors can be used to clip the placenta/cord on the side of the floss away from the kitten. If you have dilute betadine you can dip his cord (attached to him) to prevent infection. And this should dry up and eventually fall off. For feeds, as he is a newborn, he won't be taking much per feed so you do need to be prepared to feed kitty specific milk replacer every 2 hours. This will be his schedule for the next 2 weeks (after that we can go to every 3 hours til week 4 then every 5 hours until weaned). Dose-wise does depend on the brand (it will say how much on the package) but generally speaking he needs 8 milliliters (mls) of formula per ounce of body weight per day. So that would then be divided by his 12 daily feeds at this stage. And as you do all of that do keep him warm (you may need a heating pad) and monitor closely. If you can get mum to take him back so he can get colostrum (first milk which is important for their immune system) that would be ideal else we need to keep up on the above.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.