Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat of 18 years has been losing weight and now his back…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat of...

Hi, my cat of 18 years has been losing weight and now his back legs are giving out on him prohibiting him from even walking. He just falls down. I don't think he is in pain, but I don't know what to do. Please help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

Not that Im aware of. He is declawed in the front and had to jump several feet in order to get to his fancy feast so the dogs don't eat it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Junior

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Junior?

How dearly I love him and that Im going out of town with my pet sitter taking care of him for a week beginning tomorrow.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Junior is having a hard time getting around. At his age, he almost certainly has arthritis and the inability to move around is a sign that he is in pain. I would ask your vet about giving him an oral liquid medication called buprenorphine to make him comfortable. At that age, I also recommend having some lab work done to rule out other problems that can develop in older cats, including kidney and liver disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and dental disease, to name some.

I already had that answered for free with my research. Is there anything other than that med to safely administer to ease his pain until I can return and get him to the vet? Im financially strained at the moment and am very concerned about him.

You can give him some over-the-counter glucosamine/chondroitin supplement in his cat food. You can also put him on a towel with a heating pad under it to give him some pain relief.