Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14-year old male cat appears to be dying. I live in a…

Customer Question
My 14-year old male...

My 14-year old male cat appears to be dying. I live in a remote place accessible only by small airplane, so he has not been to a vet for this. My cat, who has always been very lean since I got him a few years ago, recently started going outside once or twice a day to chew on dead grass (even though I have cat grass growing in a pot inside for him and our other cat). After that he would vomit frothy white stuff, which I have read since may indicate stomach acidity problems. But he seemed normal otherwise, eating well enough. But, I started to notice a little less muscle on him, and started monitoring his food and he was eating less and less. He became quieter than normal (he was always a very sociable talkative cat) and I realized this was not good, so started to force-feed him, because I know about hepatic lipidosis (had a cat die of it years ago). He began to drool and vomit sometimes, white frothy stuff, when I would feed him, and I could't get a full amount of food into him, even trying many times. (He weighed 20 pounds before this, so needs around at least 10 oz. a day, canned Friskies.) Yesterday I got half a can into him over 14 hours, a little bit at a time. He vomited some of it, though.
I have tried slippery elm powder mixed with his food, and ranitidine, 1/4 tab a day, but so far after just a couple days no real success. I also added some B12 to his food.
I gave him 100 ml of Ringers fluid subcutaneously yesterday, but saw no change in his behavior or appetite.
The other day I saw the signs of jaundice - ears yellow inside, the whites of his eyes yellow, etc. He is drinking water on his own, but will not eat by himself, and is very lethargic, but not hiding away. He probably feels nauseous and lousy in general, but does not appear to be in pain.
I have noticed that his abdomen seems enlarged and soft, while the rest of him is wasting away - so, ascites?
I'm suspecting some gastrointestinal thing caused his inappetence, and the fatty liver symdrome followed. Cancer maybe? Or inflammation? At first had thought maybe he had a tooth abcess because when he was still eating by himself he would tilt his head often when chewing. Not sure if that means anything. I have been giving him Amoxicillin, but have no idea if that has made any difference.
So here I am, distressed and freaking out and unsure what to do. A trip to the nearest vet means a several hour plane trip, probably costing $2000 at least one-way. I'd be able to stay with friends there, or in a hotel, but all the stress on him to get him there and then take him to vet appointments etc., makes me wonder if all that would just push him over the edge. And, I'm suspecting that even if it didn't, he would require long-term meds and vet checkups and a feeding tube (which would be fine with me). I could move to town for as long as it would take to get him back to normal, if I thought that his recovery was possible.
But, I need to have a vet give me a realistic opinion on this. Is there any chance a cat in his condition could recover? Or are the odds too stacked against him? I know this is probably impossible to answer one way or the other. I'm not even sure why I'm asking, because after having many cats and dogs over the decades and seeing how each one eventually died (some of old age, others of cancers, fatty liver, pancreatitis, blockages, and so on), I think I see the writing on the wall for my present furry friend.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I think you need to decide what to do based on your financial and emotional resources. In order for your cat to have a shot at recovery, diagnostics including blood work and possibly abdominal ultrasound would need to be done to try to get to the underlying cause of the hepatic lipidosis. If it's something treatable, such as pancreatitis, he can recover with aggressive treatment up to and including IV fluids and a feeding tube. Basically, if you want to save him, be prepared to put a lot of money and time into him, because a little bit of fluids under the skin and supplements isn't going to be enough to help him.