Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a vet question about my 2 Bengal kittens. They are…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a vet question about my 2 Bengal kittens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the kitten?

They are littermates, both born 9-29-2017 from a local reputable breeder. Nila is larger, Cita was the "runt." Both are quite social,, good appetites, and appear quite healthy. I enrolled both in the Banfield plan from a local Banfield vet hospital for routine care. Both have received their worming, FELV, FVRCP, and Rabies. They were scheduled for their spays on 3-17-2018. I had them NPO (I am a RN of people :) . Banfield perfomed their preop blood work. NIla the larger one (7 lbs) had an ALT of 183, Cita's ALT was 184. As a result they preformed pre and post prandial bile acids via a SNAP in house analyzer. pre BA of Nila were 5, post, 16. Cita was pre BA 5, post 30 (their lab considers 0-24 normal). Banfield declined the anesthesia/spay. I reached out to breeder, and no hx of liver issues with any of their kittens/parents. More info.... Banfield recommended a 2nd opinion and possible ultrasounds/liver biopsies. I went to a local vet recommended by friends. Dr. Martin of Soundview did an exam of both, found them in good health. He declined ultrasounds, as he did not feel them necessary. He also questioned SNAP results. He said they could be spayed and provided such opinion to Banfield. He recommended follow up in 6 months of labs and keep an eye on appetite, changes in habit for both...more info...

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Banfield will not accept his 2nd opinion. They want to repeat preop tests, have them take Gambopentin (a relaxant I believe) and then liver biopsy before they will spay. ($$$$$) . If they are concerned by liver damage. why order a relaxant for them proir to tests? Do I need a 3rd opinion? I feel that Banfield is pushing added tests not covered by my plan, but want to do best for my pets. Donna Volpe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Sorry so long... no that is all the information. I have addition lab results such as hgb and hct, but they were all normal...

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Both are indoor kittens. Have been dewormed x 2 by Banfield (negative) and I use monthly Revolution on them per their recommendation. I changed their food to Blue Buffalo grain free, and use organic non-toxic cleaners on my laminate floors).
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear of this confusing situation with the cats. I think the best thing to do would be to have bile acids checked the traditional way rather than with the SNAP test. I do think it's important to make sure liver function is normal prior to anesthesia and it shouldn't be assumed that it is. But I would have more confidence in a bile acids test performed the traditional way vs. using the SNAP tests. I would ask your non-Banfield vet about having that done before jumping to liver biopsies.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
What are normal bile acids using non SNAP tests?
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

It depends on which lab is used. They all have their own reference ranges.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
allright thanks

You're welcome. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any more questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian