Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

CBC was normal except her pancreas & liver levels were

Customer Question
CBC was normal except...

CBC was normal except her pancreas & liver levels were slightly elevated. Her only issue has been weight loss & the only change has been litter. I changed from Tidy Cat to Pretty Litter. Not using Pretty Litter anymore thinking that could be the cause.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Cat's name and age?

Pousser, not sure on age but our vet thinks between 6 & 9.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cat's name?

Pousser

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pousser?

She has a cold right now, too. Watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing & is on amoxicillin.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Pousser has been losing weight. Based on her blood work results, she may have pancreatitis, which in cats is treated with prednisolone and some supplements to support the liver and pancreas. The most accurate way to diagnose pancreatitis is via abdominal ultrasound, but if your vet suspects pancreatitis from the blood work, they will often start treatment for it. Has she/is she having any vomiting or diarrhea? Irritable bowel disease and intestinal cancer can also cause weight loss. There is also a condition called exocrine pancreatic efficiency, in which the pancreas stops producing digestive enzymes so the body is not able to use the nutrients in food, leading to weight loss. My recommendation is to talk to your vet about getting an abdominal ultrasound done and/or starting treatment for pancreatitis.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
She's not vomiting but she did have diarrhea 2x. I've gotten her some digestive enzymes to add to her food & my vet asked me to weigh her & check back in with him to see how she's doing. Is it possible the change in litter had anything at all to do with this? My vet did mention that her having a lot of cortisone may have had something to do with the elevated liver level. She has a history of ear problems & has already had a lot of prednisone.

I do not think the cat litter is related to the weight loss. The long-term use of prednisone makes me concerned about elevated blood sugar. That is something that should be monitored regularly to make sure she has not developed diabetes. If her liver enzymes are elevated, I would talk to your vet about giving her a hepatoprotective supplement such as Standard Process.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian