Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat cried out in middle of night and threw up (about

Customer Question
My cat cried out...

My cat cried out in middle of night and threw up (about seven hors after eating) dark brown or black vomit. He is very keen to eat 'human' food which I've stopped giving him. He has cried out on other nights but without the vomiting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

I've stopped letting him lick my plate (salad with dressing or oily spaghetti sauce) which he was quite addicted to.....

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

He's called raj and is about 11 years old, until now very healthy .

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Raj?

Like I said, about 11yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raj?

He's large, part maine-coon and almost impossible to get him into carrying crate.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

The vomit was black?

Did it kind of look like coffee grounds?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it didn't look like coffee grounds. It was very dark brown, almost black and no signs of food in it. More or less the consistency of diarea but a bit more solid.

Okay thanks

How is he doing today? Still wanting to eat?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems fine today but perhaps ate less than usual. He gets canned tuna with bit of hot water added in the morning, plus some kibble which he likes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I said, he seems to have got addicted to licking my plate after I've eaten (no meat or fish) but some salad dressing and some vegetable cooked in olive oil.

Okay

Having a cat who does the EXACT same things I can relate

In terms of what to do now there is not a lot to say

Lets keep a watch on him and perhaps you could update me tonight

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have you nothing to say? Should I continue to let him lick my plate? Do you? I can't update you tonight because there won't be anything to watch before tomorrow morning.

It is not that I have nothing to say.

There is no real treatment required at this point

If licking your plate causes him GI upset then intuitively we should not allow him to do that

My cat will vomit occasionally when he eats things he should not so we are careful to put all dishes with food on them in the dishwasher right away after eating

Yes, update m tomorrow AM that would be great :)

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did not eat anything unusual (like off my plate) the last few nights so that's why I was surprised to find this unusual vomit.

You are very welcome

And cats are very clever. They get into the strangest things

The number of times I have stepped on cat vomit in the night........uggh

Okay I will look for your update

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not satisfactory. He didn't take in what I had to say about this unusual vomit which wasn't at all like any cat throwing up AFTER eating something, when the vomit usually contains visible signs of what had been eaten. This was entirely unusual for this cat who has RECENTLY become very keen to lick my plate which I have not allowed for the last few days.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian