Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Sox is a rescue who we have had for a year. Always wanting…

Customer Question
Hi, Sox is a...

Hi, Sox is a rescue who we have had for a year. Always wanting to eat and huge clumps in her litter. She is lethargic, not asking for food, and her litter box was empty this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Sox, we think 8 - adopted her from pet rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Loves to cuddle and now wandering off by herself rather than being my lap pet.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Sox' history is most consistent with diabetes mellitus that may have become complicated by ketoacidosis. This is a very dangerous condition that is fatal if untreated. So it is important that you take her promptly this weekend to your nearest veterinary emergency facility. They will be able to determine easily with in-house lab testing that this is the case, and if it isn't, that's still important information.

Another but less likely possibility is severe kidney failure in combination with severe hyperthyroidism.

Is there any chance that she has had access to LILIES in recent days? Lilies are highly toxic to cats and cause kidney problems.

No she has not. She was wandering wild when found more than a year ago and was a real hunter when we first adopted her and was always overweight which we have been controlling with measured food twice a day and she loved romping with laser light and catnip toys. She is not drinking her water but did eat this morning. At first always wanting to be outside, but with winter in Chicago, she has not been outside, and actually seems to have lost interest in going out. Would diabetes come on so quickly? We are retired and have limited budget, what does maintenance cost as far as meds go and frequency to vet?

Diabetes may have been present for quite a while since you noticed her huge appetite and large urine output - these are both signs of possible diabetes but can be overlooked by owners.

The cost of care is impossible for me to speculate about since she is not my personal patient at my clinic. Many diabetic cats are easy to manage. I've found the biggest expense is usually when vets insist on doing lots of blood glucose curves, which is much less necessary on some types of insulin than others.

But ketoacidosis may be your main problem right now and initial cost of stabilizing her can be high. Again, it depends on your geographic area and how sick she is. You need a diganosis first, and then you would discuss prognosis and costs with her actual vet. On the East and West Coasts you'll pay a lot more than the central US in general.

So I definitely recommend promptly seeing a vet this weekend before she is in critical condition with a poor prognosis regardless of dollars spent. Find out what is actually going on (remember, I cannot diagnose her, I can only make suggestions for your course of action) and go from there.

If given a choice, ProZinc insulin is more economical and cats are easier to manage on it with occasional fructosamine testing. Lantus/glargine insulin is much more costly to buy, cats are harder to manage on it, and frequent glucose curves are the norm.

I could be wrong on this whole thing. She could have a severe urinary tract infection or kidney disease with or without thyroid disease. So you want to know for certain - that's the only way you can make a logical decision about how to proceed.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need further clarification.